2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Thursday, June 9, 2011

REVIEW for The Summer of Firsts and Lasts

Thank you to Simon & Schuster for sending this book to me :)

TITLE:             The Summer of Firsts and Lasts

AUTHOR:        Terra Elan McVoy

GENRE:           YA

RATING:         4 Stars


For those of you (like me) who somehow thought The Summer of Firsts and Lasts was more of a chick lit type book, you are in for a bit of a disappointment. In reality, this book is more of a search for identity, it is more of a look at family dymanics and the entire friendship/sisterhood thing.

Having said that, I enjoyed this read because the author does an absolutely wonderful job of "taping into" the mindset of 3 young women who also happen to be sisters. While they spend their summer (what appears to be their last one there) at a camp they have visted their entire lives, the summer turns into a "walk down memory lane" while the sisters explore their views, feelings and thoughts about the past, the present, the future and each other.

This book is engaging and it takes an honest look into the world of young girls who have their entire lives ahead of them - all the while being petrified and excited about the future - leaving little girl things behind.

I did, at times, find this book to be a little bit cloying which did remove some of the fun for me. I usually like my storylines to be a little bit less serious and more breezy, but this is a good read for everyone who is looking to get deep into the mind of a young adult.

3 comments:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Hmm this book sounds familiar, I think I've heard of it before. It does sound good to me. Thanks for the review!

bermudaonion said...

I like a mix of serious and not-so-serious books and this one sounds very appealing to me. Thanks for your review.

Ms. Yingling said...

Thanks. This told me a lot more about the book than the publisher's description!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges